The Various Uses of Triphala in the Promotion of Good Health
Lately, there seems to have been a rise in the number of health-conscious people in our society. In fact, health promotion has become a huge part of today’s culture. It is now a niche and a market in its own right. Everywhere one looks nowadays, there are products available in the market that promise health benefits to customers who are interested in getting healthier.
With the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle often come efforts to trim down on one’s body weight. More for health reasons than aesthetic ones, people who are on the heavier side of the body weight spectrum are increasingly taking it upon themselves to change their diet and habits to achieve a slimmer body. It goes without saying that there are more than enough products and services in the market for weight loss, and the variety is just staggering. However, among the multitude of different weight loss merchandises being sold out there, there are few that can promote good health in other ways than simply weight loss.
Triphala — A Multipurpose Supplement
When your intent is not only to lose weight but also to improve your overall health, there are only a handful of weight loss products for you to choose from. But perhaps one of the most multifaceted in terms of health benefits is triphala, a traditional Ayurvedic herbal mixture recently featured on the Dr. Oz program. It is the powdered combination of three fruits that have very useful medicinal properties on their own: Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), and Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica).
The Many Uses of Triphala
Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki are individually chock-full of health benefits themselves. The combination of these three as triphala therefore only makes for a stronger herbal preparation that acts with the joined qualities of the three herbs.
- For Obesity - As a weight loss supplement, triphala helps reduce the amount of fat in the body. It cleanses the body and improves digestion, which greatly helps in losing weight. It also reduces the cholesterol levels in the bloodstream.
- For Constipation and Indigestion - Triphala has laxative properties which does wonders for people with digestive problems. It also aids in peristalsis, which is the wavelike motion that facilitates intestinal flow.
- Against Worms and Infections - Its antiviral and antibacterial qualities enable triphala to combat infections. In cases of worm infestation, it acts by expelling the worms from the intestines.
- For Diabetes - Diabetes mellitus is caused by a malfunction in the pancreas resulting in a lack of insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels. Triphala has shown positive results in stimulating pancreatic function.
- As An Immunomodulator - Another great thing about triphala is its ability to boost immunity. It enhances the body’s resistance to diseases by promoting antibody production and strengthening the immune response.
- As An Antioxidant - Triphala contains antioxidants that help against the effects of aging. Free radical formation causes aging, and triphala regulates cell metabolism to prevent the formation of free radicals.
Aside from all these, triphala also helps cure other health conditions like anemia, skin problems, pulmonary congestion, and has even shown promise in the treatment of cancer. All in all, it is a great dietary supplement for weight loss that comes with many extra benefits for the improvement of an individual’s general health.