The white mulberry plant, morus alba, is a small tree that is native to China. It is also widely cultivated in other parts of the world, primarily because it is useful to the silk industry as the food of silkworms. White mulberries are almost completely identical to red or black mulberries, except in color. The fruit of this species can be pink, white, or light purple.
What It Is Used For
The plant has been used in traditional medicines in many Asian countries, including India, for a long time. In traditional Chinese medicine, for example, white mulberry fruits have been used for the treatment of prematurely graying hair, constipation and diabetes. The Chinese also use the bark to treat cough, wheezing, edema, and to promote urination. Other conditions wherein white mulberry is a popular treatment include fever, headache, and red, dry and sore eyes.
The therapeutic uses of white mulberry have made its way to the Western world, and treating diseases using white mulberry extracts has started scientific inquiries into the ingredients responsible for the plant’s health benefits. Mulberries contain the minerals magnesium, potassium, iron, and calcium. They also contain vitamins A, B1, B2, C and K, and have trace amounts of saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
What Benefits Does It Bring?
Whether you eat the fruit, or drink the tea made with the leaves, mulberries will help keep you healthy. The berries are a little sweet and they taste very lovely. They are best used slightly overripe, and they yield many health benefits. This has prompted many to call the fruit a super food because of the many advantages linked to its consumption.
- White mulberry extract helps regulate blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
- White mulberry regulates lipid metabolism resulting in decreased body weight.
- It lowers high blood pressure and overall cholesterol levels. Plenty of different cardiovascular system illnesses can also be prevented by taking white mulberry extract supplements.
- White Mulberries are also an excellent source of resveratrol, which can often be a compound with anti-cancer properties.
- This fruit has also been shown to help battle some dangerous viruses and bacteria, including streptococcus, which cause strep throat.
Eating nutritional white mulberry extract, or drinking white mulberry tea daily can help you lose weight just by decreasing your appetite – which leads to lower food intake, thus causing weight loss. Recipes using white Mulberries can be found anywhere, and are as versatile as any other fruit recipes.
The leaves of the white Mulberry tree are used to brew herbal teas. The benefits of this sweet earthy flavored tea are many: As an anti-oxidant, white mulberry extract detoxifies the body, ridding it of impurities from all kinds of junk foods. Soon your skin will feel fresh and revived and your metabolism will return to a normal level.